[Epo-members-announce] Send a Newbie Program

epo-members-announce at lists.scsys.co.uk epo-members-announce at lists.scsys.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 10:55:38 GMT 2009

Hi All. We have been asked by Edmund to take over the administration of
the send-a-newbie program for YAPC EU 2009. I think it is a good thing
for us to do especially since one of our members has graciously agreed
to do most of the work (Rozallin who was herself a newbie at last year's
TAPC::EU). What follows is Edmund's original rerquest:

Hello,

Send-a-Newbie was a project to raise money to cover the travel and
accommodation expenses for first  timers to a Perl conference. It was
aimed at YAPC::EU::2009 and resulted in 3 people being able to attend
who otherwise would not have.

Would the EPO like to take over running it?

The work involved is raising awareness and getting donations made (I
did it straight into PayPal). Then there is gathering applications and
judging them. Finally there is the arranging of travel and hotel
details. Possibly also some visa fun. I'd estimate that I spent about
ten hours on it for YAPC::EU::2009 doing the basics and then another
10 dealing with visa tedium for someone coming over from India.

Rosellyne Thompson, one of the 'newbies', is all fired up and ready to
go with dealing with most of this  :)  The website from last time is a
little Catalyst app that I'd be happy to send over to you to kick
start things.

I'd mentioned this to Mark at the YAPC and he seemed to think that it
would be a good fit for the EPO.

Cheers,
  Edmund.

Please can I have a round of Yays or Nays to this as soon as possible -
I will already count Rozallin as a Yay as she was sat at the table when
the request was first mooted and seemed to be positive about helping out.

Regards

Mark

--
Mark Keating BA (Hons)          |  Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder
Managing Director               |  Shadowcat Systems Limited