[Epo-members-announce] Send-A-Newbie, notice to apply for funding

Chris Prather chris at prather.org
Wed May 5 17:29:35 GMT 2010

2010/5/5 Robin Smidsrød <robin at smidsrod.no>:
> On 04.05.2010 3:14, Chris Prather wrote:
>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Leon Timmermans <fawaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What do you mean exactly with a 'major Perl Workshop'? When is a
>>> workshop major, and when not?
>>
>> At a guess. YAPC is Major, Perl Oasis is not.
>
> To me the most obvious measure of whether an event is major or not is
> the amount of participants. How many participants that are required to
> classify an event as "major" I leave to someone else to define.

I could be an ass and argue that quality has to play some role.
RailsConf has several hundred Ruby people but is not a major Perl
event, while Perl Oasis had roughly 40 people, but many of them are
well known people in the Perl community including two board members
from the EPO and the TPF's new President.

Defining Major vs Minor is at some level like defining obscenity. I
don't know what it is but I'll tell you when I see it. It has a
mixture of the quantity and quality of the attendees as well as the
impact the event has upon the community at large.

To bring this back around to the topic though, I'm *guessing* that
Send-a-newbie is for sending people to things like YAPC, YAPC::EU, and
YAPC::Asia. It might extend to larger workshops like NPW, PPW, LPW,
Frozen Perl and maybe Perl Oasis (I'm biased, and I would love to see
as many people come to Perl Oasis as possible). I doubt it will extend
to things like London Perl Monger meetings or Shibuya.pm meetings
(despite Shibuya.pm having meetings that are larger than Perl Oasis!).

-Chris