[html-formfu] Prototype && HTML::FormFu

Brian Cassidy brian.cassidy at nald.ca
Mon Aug 20 12:58:52 GMT 2007

Hi,

I've noticed Carl's Dojo-based widgets in the svn repository, and since
i've been doing some work with formfu and prototype ( + scriptaculous),
i thought it might be nice to have something similar for that combination.

I hope this thread will answer some questions i have about making custom
elements and perhaps some best practices will come out of it.

I decided to start with a simple auto-complete element. I can envision
the yaml file looking something like this in it's simplest form:

- name: foo
   type: Prototype::Autocomplete
   url: /foo

Q: to set the url programatically, say, via the catalyst context, would
the best practice be to override the element with a custom one that does
just that? (in new() perhaps?)

Further to the above config, you can set the update_id, and also a
generic set of "options" to be passed along.

With respect to the update_id, if it's not specified then it is auto
generated as "${id}_auto_update" -- this element most likely does not
exist and much be created.

Q: (more of an api question...) If update_id is specified, should i
assume the user will generate that element themselves?

Q: What's the best practice for injecting elements into the form from
custom elements?

I see the the Dojo::Repeatable element, you're adding some elements to
_custom_elements() -- should i copy that practice?

That should get me started... thanks in advance!

-Brian