[html-formfu] Date Element

Tobias Kremer list at funkreich.de
Wed Jul 11 12:36:37 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm wondering why there still is no such thing as a Date element consisting
of three select fields (day, month, year)? Am I the only person who doesn't
like giving users a stupid textfield for entering dates? I don't like
JavaScript popup calendars attached to textfields either. And most of the
sites I checked are using this multi-select-fields approach which makes me
believe that it's a very common thing users are expecting.

We tried implementing our own Date element with FormFu but due to its beta
status the documentation still is not good enough to really grasp the
gazillion of stages involved in processing a form.

Our latest approach involved subclassing the "multi" element and adding three
select fields to the form in the setup() method. Unfortunately multi is
not a real field element, thus it's not possible to set a value on it
(some composite ISO-formatted date, for example) and now we're stuck with
three individual values for year, month and day, so inflators and constraints
on the multi/date element won't work. In an earlier thread Carl
suggested overwriting is_field and get_fields to make multi look like a
real element. No problem for is_field, but I really don't have a clue what
the new get_fields method should look like and if this would work at all :(

So, Carl, may I kindly ask for something like a Date element because it looks
like currently you're the only person capable of implementing this in a sane
way :) FormFu is the best form engine currently available but without a
user-friendly date element it's almost useless for us because dates are
everywhere in our application :( And whose application doesn't feature dates
in at least one form?

Thanks a lot!

--Tobias