[html-formfu] Validation

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:17:16 GMT 2007

On 13/06/07, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a holy grail of the MVC frameworks - but there are good
> arguments for having the validation in the Model (one of them is the
> End to End argument - only in Model you have all the info needed for
> full validation).  Will FormFu support that way of structuring the
> app?
>
> Can you include a model as the HTML::FormFu::Validator, call it when
> saving the values and retrieve all the errors that it might generate?
> This would require a documented Errors structure or object so that we
> would know what the model should return.  What do you think?

FormFu will only support it if someone wants it enough to code it.
This is the 2nd time you've asked about it in as many weeks - so it
looks like you have the most interest in the feature (hint, hint!)

You'd have to look at breaking the validation out, so it could be used
without a form object.
You'd also have to consider how much you want to be auto-generated -
and how practical it is.

I was chatting with bblack (I think) recently, and I think we both
came to the same conclusion that auto-mapping of DB tables/columns to
form fields is only useful for the most basic crud examples, and still
requires configuration of how to handle relationships (especially
regarding updates) that neither of us really wanted to pursue it
further.

> Onother question - can you easily make a HTML::FormFu::Validator based
> on a Data::FormValidator for example?

A compatibility layer?
I don't recall anyone mentioning such a thing before - so again, I
think it comes down to whether you've got the time... ;)