[html-formfu] very, very slow initially

Josef Chladek josef.chladek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:04:41 GMT 2007

Am 27.09.2007 um 09:34 schrieb Josef Chladek:

>> Catalyst automatically loads all the packages it finds under
>> MyApp/Controller, MyApp/Model and MyApp/View - at startup, not on
>> demand - so it knows what's available.
>> This is definitely a DBIC issue - not a FormFu issue.
>>
>> Search the DBIC list archives for a thread with the title "Startup
>> speed".
>> With the suggestions there, the OP managed to get his startup time
>> from 19s down to 2s.
>
> thanks carl, but startup-speed is one thing (and I got used to that).
> but normally AFTER the startup everything is running fast. not so
> when I have a formfu-controller with LoadConfig, it seems, that
> with the first request (and that is after startup) something Class/
> DBIC magic is happening, after this first request the app behaves
> normal.
> so my guess is, that some reinitializing/call to setup happens,
> that maybe reloads models, caused by formfu/controller-formfu.
> because any other method in my controllers does not have that delay...
>
> I'm trying to put some debug/timing code in formfu pms to find out
> more

hmm, in Catalyst/Controller/HTML/FormFu/Action/Config.pm, sub execute

     warn "4:",tv_interval ( $t0) ;

     for my $file (@files) {
         my $filepath = defined $config->{config_file_path}
             ? $config->{config_file_path} ."/". $file
             : $file;

         $c->log->debug( __PACKAGE__ ." searching for file
'$filepath'" )
             if $c->debug;

         $form->load_config_file( $filepath );
     }
     warn "5:",tv_interval ( $t0) ;

when called the first time, the output is:

4:0.001223 at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/Catalyst/Controller/HTML/FormFu/
Action/Config.pm line 31.
5:4.768597 at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/Catalyst/Controller/HTML/FormFu/
Action/Config.pm line 43.

as said before, I can't notice this when using 5.9.5 perl

josef