[html-formfu] catalyst, formfu and unicode

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:58:45 GMT 2007

On 27/09/2007, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2007, Josef Chladek <josef.chladek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello list,
> >
> > after endless hours of debugging, here are my recommendations for
> > correct use of utf8 with Catalyst and HTML::FormFu
> >
> > 1) don't use Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode
> > 2) don't use "use utf8" in the controller, that has formfu stuff in it
> > 3) don't use .yml configs, use Config::General instead (maybe others
> > working as well)
> > 4) in I18/de.pm remove "use utf8", otherwise error-messages corrupt
> > the rest of the page
> >
> > at least for me now everything is encoded correctly (and my other
> > controllers work as well correctly with utf8)
> >
> > C:P:Compress:Gzip is ok to use (contrary to what I said yesterday)
> I've had a look at the Cat app you sent - and I've managed to get it
> working properly.
> * Load Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode.
> * Add the config option (ENCODING => 'UTF-8') to View/TT.
> (DEFAULT_ENCODING is a View/TT/ForceUTF8 option - which shouldn't be necessary)
> * Finally, the main thing that was causing problems was the lang="de"
> attribute in the html tag in your foo.tt2 - remove it.
> You should now find that form submissions with errors render ok.
> I've also tested this with Compress::Gzip - and it works fine too.
> If you find yourself having to remove Catalyst::Plugin::UTF8 or remove
> "use utf8" from modules with utf8 in the source - then there's
> something else going wrong.
> To be honest, I don't know why the lang tag caused problems - I've
> never used lang tags, and I also only use xhtml, not html.
> I tried adding a meta tag with a lang="de" attribute, and it didn't
> cause any problems, but I don't know if that has the same effect that
> you're wanting.

I was looking at this again - and deleted all the files, and
unarchived them again.
It seemed to be working fine with just the changes to Test.pm and View/TT.pm
The change to foo.tt2 doesn't seem necessary.


More information about the HTML-FormFu mailing list