[html-formfu] Why not div (instead of span) for container_tag?

Jeff Dairiki dairiki at dairiki.org
Thu Mar 6 16:38:07 GMT 2008

I've just started using FormFu.   And I think it's great.  (Thank you.)

Here's one thing that's been bothering me though.   Most of the field
types use (by default) a <span> for their container_tag.  It seems to
me that the default (for most field types) should be a <div>.

 - Generally, it would seem one would want each field on a new line ---

 - The default output without CSS is nearly unreadable.

 - The vertically aligned css (which so far is the only good
   example CSS for FormFu I've found --- are there others?) converts
   all these spans to display: block, in any case.

So why the design decision to use the <span>s?  I'm guessing (from
what I've seen with the rest of the code) that there's a good reason
but (as outlined above) I can't figure out what it is.

I know I can change the element_defaults (and I have).  But if there's
a good reason to stick with <span>s please tell me before I get too
far along with my <div>s.

Cheers,
Jeff Dairiki