[html-formfu] Validating unique names

Andreas Marienborg omega at palle.net
Wed May 14 15:46:23 BST 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Ton Voon wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We've just starting playing with FormFu with new Catalyst
> application and am impressed with how it works. However, one thing
> which I find hard is how to define a field as unique across all the
> existing rows.
>
> For instance, we have a list of hosts and we need to ensure that the
> host name given in the form is unique. Obviously if the host is
> being edited and the name is the same, then the validator should pass.
>
> It looks like a validator callback is the best way to do that, but I
> can't see how to integrate this with DBIx::Class. How do others do
> this?

We do this by setting something in the form stash before processing,
then the validator can reach this trough the $form->stash method (I
think). This might only work if you implement it as a constraint or
validator class, not as a validator or constraint callback (too long
since I worked with formfu :/)

Anyway, once you have the object beeing worked on, you can check that
the ID or whatever is the same, and return "AOK" then

hope that made some sense

- andreas