[html-formfu] Validating unique names

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed May 14 19:55:25 BST 2008

On 14 May 2008, at 17:45, Ton Voon wrote:

> $field->validator('Object')->object( $object );

I've just thought this is too limiting, because this means there's
only one method (validate_value) per object class.

So instead, I propose this syntax:

$field->validator( $object )->method( "check_unique_column" )

Where FormFu will create a new HTML::FormFu::Validator::Object
instance and then call $object->validate_unique_column( $form,
$new_value ) at the point of validation.

I think this makes sense because if validators are 'intended for
higher-level validation, such as business-logic and database
constraints such as "is this username unique?"' (quoted from pod),
then the core validation logic should reside at the object model. But
we'd be helping out with some basic methods that can be incorporated
into DBIx::Class::HTML::FormFu.

Comments?

Ton

http://www.altinity.com