[html-formfu] 'default_empty_value' doesn't work

Juergen Mathwich jux at 4950.net
Fri Oct 31 08:30:37 GMT 2008

Hi Michele

Thanks for your reply.

I read following information from this thread
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/html-formfu/2008-August/001334.html

> If you're using hand-rolled code to update the database - be aware
> that the browser doesn't send anything back for unchecked checkboxes -
> not even an empty value - so either your db-update code will need to
> check the FormFu form object for checkboxes that haven't been
> submitted, or you'll need to use 'default_empty_value'.

> Carl

This is why i *thought* default_empty_value should set it to "0" (the default
value) if used.

Regarding your reply I missunderstood the behavior - default_empty_value
causes process() to add the key to the hash if the box isn't checked, but not
to set a default value.

Possible solutions are:

1. run through the result and set unset checkbox values to 0
2. use transformers (like you suggested)
3. add the suggested "default_if_unchecked" to formfu

Bye, Juergen