[html-formfu] warnings using date field

Geoffrey D. Bennett g at netcraft.com.au
Sat Sep 13 10:31:29 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 09:26:08AM +0100, Carl Franks wrote:
> 2008/8/23 Geoffrey D. Bennett <g at netcraft.com.au>:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I was getting some warnings from FormFu (0.03003) when trying to use a
> > date field.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my example was
> > pretty simple:
> >
> >    - type: Date
> >      name: delivery_date
> >      label: Delivery Date
>
> Can you send a full example of a form config you're using?

Hi Carl,

Apart from "indicator: submit", that was all that was in the form.

> (specifically, I'd like to know what blocks/fieldsets there are, and
> whether they're using nested_name)

Nope, none of that.

> And also what you're doing with the code when it causes the warning.

Whatever happens inside :FormConfig('test') does it.

> And finally, which version of perl you're using.

CentOS 5 perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3

> I'd like to figure out what's causing it - as I'm not sure why that
> patch should be necessary, and what it's fixing.

Well, I narrowed it down to Catalyst::Plugin::StackTrace.  Upgrading
to StackTrace 0.09 makes the warnings go away.

Despite the obtuseness of the existing code, it appears that it's ~10x
faster than using reftype():

perl -d -e 0 -MBenchmark -MScalar::Util

timethis(1000000, 'eval { my $b = %$a }')

1 wallclock secs ( 0.51 usr + -0.01 sys =  0.50 CPU) @ 2000000.00/s (n=1000000)

timethis(1000000, 'Scalar::Util::reftype($a)')

10 wallclock secs (10.99 usr +  0.05 sys = 11.04 CPU) @ 90579.71/s (n=1000000)

Regards,
Geoffrey D. Bennett, RHCE, RHCX               mailto:g at netcraft.com.au
Senior Systems Engineer                          sip:g at netcraft.com.au