[html-formfu] moose?

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 10:09:49 GMT 2009

2009/3/5 Daisuke Maki <daisuke at endeworks.jp>:
> Just a thought:
>
> Would you be interested in porting HTML::FormFu to be Moose based?
> I may take up on it.

My primary interest in moosifying HTML-FormFu would be to use Roles to
be able to get rid of the multiple inheritance that's going on with
some of the elements. And hopefully cleanup some of the massive
importing from ObjectUtil.
The primary benefit should be an easier-to-understand codebase.

I'm less interested in its class-building abilities (though we no
doubt would use as much Moose as possible if we were to switch).

I think about a year ago, I experimented with changing HTML-FormFu to
use Moose, however there was a noticeable performance hit, so I
abandoned it.
I have seen blog posts since then about performance improvements, so
hopefully it's no longer an issue.

If you want to make a 'moose' branch in svn, please do - but the main
thing I'll be looking for is a nice use of Roles to cleanup the
internals, not just convert them to a different class-builder.
And if the performance hit is more than a couple percent, we may have
to delay merging it back to trunk, until Moose gets yet faster.