[html-formfu] Wrong encoding in Catalyst::Plugin::I18N::DBI

Octavian Râşniţă orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 06:17:22 GMT 2009

Hi Matt,

I think I have discovered a bug in the module Catalyst::Plugin::I18N::DBI.

If I use the options label_loc, value_loc... in HTML::FormFu configuration
files, if the error messages generated by HTML::FormFu are simple and don't
contain any variable parts marked with [_1], [_2]... then the translated
strings done with your module are correct.

If the strings contain variable parts then the encoding is not done
correctly.

I have discovered the following line in Catalyst::Plugin::I18N::DBI, line
145:

    utf8::decode($value) unless utf8::is_utf8($value);

If it is correct, it means that the bug is somewhere else, but if I change
this line with:
    utf8::decode($value);

then all the strings are encoded correctly, no matter if they contain
[_1]... or not.
(And the strings encoded directly in the TT templates are also OK.)

Thank you for opinions from you or other members of the HTML::FormFu mailing
list.

Octavian