[html-formfu] dynamically filter a Select list

Ascii King tech at swattermatter.com
Mon Sep 14 18:46:38 GMT 2009

Byron Young wrote:
> Ascii King wrote on 2009-09-14:
>
>> I want to dynamically filter the amount of data returned when populating
>> a Select field.  The select field I am using has too much data and
>> causes the form to load very slowly.  I have several of these select
>> boxes, that pull down different data. I need to be able to filter what
>> data gets into the boxes based on choices the user makes.
>>

> I don't think there is a built-in way to do this in HTML::FF (please correct me if I'm wrong!), but for things like this I just use FormFu to render the empty input fields in the form, and then I add some javascript to the page to asynchronously load the Select list data as the user types into the filter text box (or conversely you can have all the data loaded with FormFu and just filter it as the user types into the filter field).  FormFu still handles the rendering, validation, etc, but my javascript handles the list contents and filtering.
>
> HTH,
> Byron

That solution provides the functionality I want, but still leaves me
with the 'too much data' problem. Thanks, though. The solution I am
considering using is to have the clients fill out a pre-form taht I use
to filter the data. That is a clunky solution, though. I was hoping
there was a proper way to do it.