[html-formfu] Default Values

Robyn Jonahs learn.catalyst at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:57:19 GMT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 April 2012 14:33, Robyn Jonahs <learn.catalyst at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using Catalyst 5.90011 with HTML::FormFu::Model::DBIC and mysql
> >
> > I am having a problem where I can't get the default value set in mysql
> and
> > also in my Catalyst Schema::Result to get inserted into the database. It
> > sticks
> > a null value in rather than my default value. For example, this is a
> > checkbox
> >
> > In the Schema::Result::File.pm
> >
> >   "trip",
> >   { data_type =3D> "tinyint", default_value =3D> 0, is_nullable =3D> 1 =
},

> > In the YAML form definition
> >     # Trip?
> >     - type: Checkbox
> >       name: trip
> >       label: Trip Expense?
> >
> > I get an empty checkbox with a new form, but if I don't check it, then =
it
> > gets set in the database as Null
> >
> > If I check it and uncheck it, it gets put into the database as Null
> >
> > If I check it, it gets put in the database as 1
> >
> > Why won't it insert the default value of 0?
>
> I think this would be fixed by either setting the DBIC column to
> is_nullable =3D> 0
> or by adding a "default: 0" to the formfu element definition.
>
> If you don't want to change is_nullable, and the "default: 0" alone
> doesn't work, try also adding "retain_default: 0" - it's been a long
> time since I've used this stuff, and can't remember all the details.
>
> Carl

Ah, thanks. That fixed it.

I set it to not null in the mysql definition for the column and left the
FormFu YAML alone.
This of course set the schema result correctly after I used the create
script to update.

I had removed those not nulls since I thought that default would take care
of setting
a value and thought it was not required and was redundant.