[Html-widget] opinions of removing implicit fieldset / breaking back-compat

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:21:34 GMT 2006

On 08/11/06, Ash Berlin <ash at cpan.org> wrote:
> Michael Gray wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Carl Franks wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to remove the implicit sub-container: meaning, if you do this...
> >> $widget->element( Textfield => 'foo' );
> >> ...you no longer get an implicit Fieldset around the form elements.
> >

> I'd like to point out that HTML as follows:

> is invalid. A form tag can only contain block level elements (of which
> input is not one)

What I'm suggesting is that people should explicitly add their own fieldset.
That's why it would break backwards-compatability, because we'd have
to change old code if we still want that fieldset after upgrading H-W.

Your example is valid HTML 4.01 transitional, though.
The following snippet passes W3's validator:

        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>test</title>
</head>