[Html-widget] FormFu: validating complex structures

Jonas Alves jonas.alves at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:53:59 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I would like to use FormFu to validate a complex structure. It may
come from a JSON file or from a form expanded with CGI::Expand.
How hard would be to patch HTML::FormFu to process something like this?

I thought that container fields could act as a container to a sub-hash.
Something like this:

       elements:
             - type: text
               name: user
             - type: text
               name: email
             - type: fieldset
               name: address
                 - type: text
                   name: street
                 - type: text
                   name: code

Would validate a structure like:

      {
          user => 'John',
          email => 'john at mail.com',
          address => {
              street => 'xxxxxxx',
              code => 1000,
          }
      }

And would generate a form with dotted name convention like:

<form>
   <input name="user">
   <input name="email">
   <fieldset>
       <input name="address.street">
       <input name="address.code">
   </fieldset>
</form>

That could be translated in a complex structure with CGI::Expand.
This functionality would not be the default of course, but could be
activated with a config parameter.
What do you think? I can try to hack this in HTML::FormFu, just need
to know the internals a little better.

Cheers,
--
Jonas