[Html-widget] formfu catalyst controller question

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:19:26 GMT 2007

On 06/03/07, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In FormFu/ObjectUtil.pm the 'load_config_file' sub is designed to
> read directly off the filesystem.  For my particular needs I'd want
> to be able to read a configuration directly out of my user supported
> wiki.  I always admired how template toolkit allowed you to define
> an array of template providers so that you could read templates from
> the filesystem or from other locations and was wondering if it's a
> good time yet for user contrib.  I know I only asked about this a
> few days ago, but since this idea is mostly isolated from general
> form development I thought it could be a good time.

Hopefully that's the biggest architectural changes finished, so it
should be ok now to work on other things, and not have a complete
nightmare to merge them in to trunk.

> If I was to do this I'd make it very similar to the way template
> toolkit works, where there'd be a provider attribute for the form
> object that would have a sane default (ie read from the filesystem
> just like it does now).  I think having the prefix mapping could be
> nice as well, so you could say
> ->load_config_file('http://www.host.org/forms.login.yml') just like
> with TT.
>
> For those not familar with how TT does this see
> "http://search.cpan.org/~abw/Template-Toolkit-
> 2.18/lib/Template/Provider.pm".
>
> The only thing I'd do differently is I think I'd use
> http://search.cpan.org/~nnunley/Filesys-Virtual-Base-0.2/ as my base
> class, that way we could immediately take advantage of all the
> Filesys-Virtual classes already out there.  Also I'd want to cache
> the provided configuration in a temp area and maybe use memoize to
> speed up parsing of unchanged configuration files.
>
> What do you think?

It sounds very interesting.

If you have a google account, let me know the username and I'll give
you svn access - then you can create a new branch for this.
(If you don't already have a google account, you can create one using
any email address - you don't have to create a gmail account).

Cheers,
Carl