[northwestengland.pm] London Perl Workshop: Conference Announcement

Mark Keating m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk
Wed Jul 1 09:25:03 GMT 2015

A Perl Christmas(?)

It is my pleasure and joy to announce the London Perl Workshop for 2015.

What is it?
The London Perl Workshop is a free one-day conference in central London, UK. LPW is the UK's Premier Perl Event and so is also known as the United Kingdom Perl Workshop (UKPW). Attendance is free though we also ask that you register for us to judge numbers. Attendees can select the option to make a voluntary donation at registration which will help us with the cost of presenting the event.

When and Where:
The London Perl Workshop will once again be held at the University of London's Cavendish Campus on Saturday 12th December 2015. I would like to
thank Sean Tohill at the University for all of his efforts in securing us the venue.

Theme:
The theme for the London Perl Workshop will be A Perl Christmas. This year we have heard that Perl 6 will have a Development release and a Version 1.0 release for Christmas. In honour of that we will be devoting this event to all things related to Perl 6. What effect has Perl 6 had on the ecosystem, the modules, the libraries and the community? What does the future hold for Perl 5 and Perl 6? We will also accept talks and workshops on Perl 5 and Perl 6 related subjects as well as the existing Perl Frameworks and Libraries.

Once again we will be inviting people to run a Hardware hacking event. If you have an idea of an event or goal you would like to achieve to coincide with the London Perl Workshop then please contact the organisers.

We welcome the submission of talks, discussions, presentations and workshops using other languages, or that have separate technical or engineering objectives. The strength in developing is knowledge from a wide variety of sources. If you use another programming language or system to connect physical and virtual devices together and want to submit or attend the event then we would be honoured to welcome you. If you are connected to a UK Hackspace and wish to attend and display then please approach the organisers with ideas of your requirements.

Submissions:
Speakers are invited to talk on any subject that relates to this theme, though we will also accept talks on other subjects. We will accept talks from people of any age, background or circumstance, the London Perl Workshop is an inclusive event and we would love to have you attend.

This year we hope to have access to three Workshop rooms and would like to run as many workshops as possible. We would also love to refresh the skills of those wishing to engage with the latest developments in the Perl and other languages. If you wish to submit a workshop please use the same submission form as the talks, please note that workshops will be 60, 120 or 240 minutes in length. We would particularly welcome any workshop relating to Modern Perl or Perl 6.

Proposal Deadline: Friday 6th November 2014
Speaker Notification: Monday 22nd November 2014

Please note that we will be starting to accept talks earlier than the proposal deadline and these will be given a priority on the schedule. Talks that match our theme will be given a higher weighting on the schedule.

Website:
The website is live:http://bit.ly/lpw2015  - please make sure to sign up to the event asap.

Keynote:
In addition to the fun of submitting a talk, one of the speakers, submitting a talk of 40 minutes, may be selected to give this years Keynote speech. To add a little excitement the talk that best fits this years theme (potentially given by a known experienced speaker, but that is not a condition) will be chosen for the honoured place as the keynote. If you have any questions or queries then please do not hesitate to ask.

Volunteers:
As always we would appreciate a number of volunteers to help with a variety of tasks during the day. If you think you can help and would like to be one of these brave souls then please let Mark know as soon as possible. Some of the volunteers will be needed for:

Setting up: Making sure the venue is set up in the early morning (around 8-8.30) and helping with the placing of signs, tables, and the arrangement of sponsorship items and registration.

Talks: A volunteer is needed in each room to time the talk and hold up an appropriate sign warning the speaker of how long they have left, this can be composed from a list of people who are definitely attending a talk (as opposed to an all day volunteer) once the schedule goes up. An alternate
idea is to get the speakers in each room to nominate a member of the audience as the "timer" - this will be used if people believe it is the best option.

Video: There will be video cameras in each of the lecture halls and suitable volunteers are needed to control the cameras, make sure the talks are
recorded and give harsh looks to anyone making a noise near the cameras microphone (the use of non-harmful projectile weaponry is being considered
  ).

This year we will be asking all presenters to provide their slides as:

Presentation (Open Office or Keynote)
Bitmap image, jpeg, gif png etc.
SVG
Screencast
Video format (mpeg etc., - must be timed to fit the presentation though!)

Slides will be added to the video of the speakers in post production to provide the best possible experience. Once again contact mdk if you have any questions or queries.

All speakers should note that the videos will be released under a Creative Commons Licence for the usage
of their presentations. This usage will simply be to promote the conference, Perl community and the Perl language, the videos will be available on sites such as PresentingPerl.org, YouTube and if possible YAPC.tv.

Sponsors:
Each year we are required to fund the conference rooms, lecture theatres and workshop rooms, as well as arrange and cover the costs for many other activities normally associated with the London Perl Workshop such as the famous sponsored beer after the conference. We will once again be hosted by the Department of Electronic, Communication and Software Engineering who have secured us a generous discount on the normal university room rates and who will hopefully play a greater part in the event this year with activities that coincide with the workshop.

If you wish to sponsor the event we have several basic packages (others packages may be tailored to your specific needs), please forward this to all sponsors or persons you feel would be willing to help sponsor this event:

All Sponsors (minimum sponsorship £250) will receive:
* A page on the wiki;
* Their logo on the website and in all related marketing;
* A write-up by Mark in all advertising and related promotion;
* A page in the Conference Booklet (A5);
* Their logo in the back of the conference booklet;
* Their logo on the Conference banner;

Lecture Room Sponsors (Sponsorship cost: £500 each room, Minimum: 1 room) will receive all the above and:
* The ability to brand the room with posters/banners advertising them;
* A fifteen minute introductory spot in their room on any subject they wish;

Workshop Room Sponsors (Sponsorship cost: £500 each room, Minimum: 3 rooms) will receive all the above and:
* The ability to brand the room with posters/banners advertising them;
* A fifteen minute introductory spot in their room on any subject they wish;

Lecture Hall Sponsors (Sponsorship cost: £1000 each room, Minimum: 2 lecture theatres) will receive all the above:
* Their logo given prime position on the Conference banner (Larger and near the top)
* Brand the lecture theatre with their promotional material;
* A 20 minute slot at the conference (in a lecture theatre) on any subject they wish;

Coffee Break Sponsor (Sponsorship cost: £500)
* Ability to brand the coffee area with posters/banners (needs to be negotiated for what will be allowed)

Evening Sponsors (Principal Evening Sponsorship cost: £1,000, Minimum: 1 event needed) as 'All Sponsors' plus:
* Ability to brand the pub with posters/banners (needs to be negotiated for what will be allowed)
* A 10 minute slot to address the crowd (they will be drinking your beer and food so expect cheering/noise)

Marketing Sponsor (Sponsorship cost: £2,000, Minimum: 1 needed) as 'All Sponsors' plus:
* Their Logo given prime position on the Conference banner (Larger and near the top)
* Their logo on the front page of the conference booklet - as sponsor of the booklet
* Principal promotion opportunities to be discussed with the sponsor

As always if more than one companies wish to join together and have a room together 2*£250 minimum, they will both be allowed to brand the room with posters and the time slot will be shared. We are also open to discussing other ways to integrate your promotion and ideas into the conference. We would be delighted if you wish to attend or promote yourcompany further, run job advertising/recruitment.

If you wish to sponsor less than the "minimum" sponsorship we can discuss an appropriate package to suit your sponsorship. My intention is to begin promoting the event as soon as possible to maximise the exposure of the conference and of our sponsors.

We will also accept small donations from the community and more information on this will follow in a later release.

OUR SPONSORS
We have several sponsors who have already joined us at this time:

Enlightened Perl Organisation
The Enlightened Perl Organisation is dedicated to the promotion of Perl (in particular Raptor Perl or Perl 5) as a production language that is suited to an enterprise environment. The EPO will be providing banking and organisation facilities for the London Perl Workshop for the third year running.

Magnum Solutions
Magnum yearly run a free training course in the morning during the LPW. We are initially keeping this open to UoW students only, in order to help promote Perl to new audiences. For full information on Magnum's training courses please consult their website.

Shadowcat Systems
Shadowcat Systems is a developer, sponsor of, and contributor to open source software projects including Catalyst, the elegant web framework, and DBIx::Class, an object-orientated database abstraction library. Shadowcat provides consultancy, training and support for these projects; systems management and automation; the design and implementation of network architecture; the development of proprietary and open source custom web applications; and offers Perl refactoring and project crisis management.

Shadowcat Systems are based in the United Kingdom but we deliver solutions to a global community of clients via onsite supervision along with traditional and internet based communications.

University of Westminster
As last year we are graciously being hosted by Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSSE) at the University of Westminster. We cannot exaggerate how grateful we are for their support of Perl and Open Source in London.

We are looking for new sponsors each year and new ways in which to enhance their profile and further our event. So please do not hesitate to contact us with a sponsorship idea.

Accommodation:
Each year there is a spur to find cheap rooms in London and with some it is a matter of being given a spare bed/sofa from the local Mongers living in
and around London. If you have a spare bed or can put up a fellow Perler for a couple of nights around the conference place yourself on the wiki and lets see if we can lessen the cost and broaden the uptake for our conference. If you are looking to try and get to the conference and the barrier is accommodation place your name on the same page and we can hope that someone will offer you a place to rest your weary head.

Announce:
Please forward this mail to any appropriate list that it does not appear on.

As always any communication concerning the workshop can be sent to Mark Keating (m.keating(at)shadowcat.co.uk).

Your cooperation and participation is, as always, greatly appreciated.

-mdk