[northwestengland.pm] Clojure macros - With great power comes much confusion: Monday 16th October, 7pm, MadLab

Hakim C hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:46:24 GMT 2017

It's time for another LambdaLounge talk!  This time we have a talk on
Macros in Clojure.

Whether you've ever looked at metaprogramming or DSLs (in Ruby or Perl),
template programming (in C++ or Haskell), introspection (in Java), or
(heavens!) wondered what on earth the (point (of (all (those
(parentheses))))) in Lisp is, then this talk is for you!

 *When*: Monday 16th October @ 7pm (doors open a little earlier, aim to
start talks 7:10)

 *Who*:   Dan Meyers (BBC Programme Metadata, @Carr0t
<https://twitter.com/Carr0t>)

* What: *Clojure Macros - With great power comes much confusion

 *Where*:  https://madlab.org.uk/find-us/

 *Details: * Dan will go through the basic building blocks of macros and
how they differ from functions. He writes:

“Anyone who’s written any Clojure has probably *used* macros that are in
the language core, even if they didn’t realise it, but a lot of people
might not have *written* their own macros.

We’ll go through two examples covering what I see as the major use-cases of
macros – logging and code readability. We’ll do this bit by bit to see how
they do what they do, and then look at the results of that.

The talk starts from fairly basic principles and building on that so you
don’t need to know Clojure or anything to understand it. A few brief slides
at the beginning give you all the info you need to understand what’s going
on even if you’ve not really looked at a Lisp-like language before."

*http://www.lambdalounge.org.uk/2017/10/16/macros.html#meetings
<http://www.lambdalounge.org.uk/2017/10/16/macros.html#meetings>*

​See you soon!

Hakim