[northwestengland.pm] "Back to School" talks on Functional Programming in Javascript (and a little Clojure): Monday 18th September, 7pm, MadLab

Hakim C hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 20:35:21 GMT 2017

It's time for another LambdaLounge talk!  This time we have some
introductory talks, aimed at beginners in functional programming, but
suitable for all!

 *When*: Monday 18th September @ 7pm

 *Who*:
  * Katie Fenn (npm)
         A Functional JS Field Guide

  * Hakim Cassimally (BBC)
        Writing a tile-matching game in Clojure (first steps)

 *Where*:  https://madlab.org.uk/find-us/

Whether you're an beginner or an expert in Functional Programming, everyone
is welcome at LambdaLounge talks.

Here's the full blurb, hope to see you there on Monday!

*Back to School evening*
As we reach the end of the Glorious British Summer, it’s time to pick up
our new exercise books and pencil cases and learn some new techniques on
Javascript (and a bit of Clojure) in the field!

LambdaLounge is pleased to present an evening suitable for all, and
especially newcomers to Functional Programming on Monday 18th September at
7pm at MadLab.

*A Functional JS Field Guide*
Katie Fenn (@katie_fenn) is a software engineer at npm. She works with all
aspects of the web, particularly JavaScript, CSS, Node.JS and ops. When not
at her desk, she is usually in the pool or on her bike in the Peak District.

JavaScript is a language of two flavours: object-oriented and functional.
Some would say functional is JavaScript’s dominant flavour, but only
recently have we started exploring its uses fully. I will show how lessons
from functional programming takes advantage of JavaScript’s better
features, and may even change the future of computing.

In this talk I will introduce the basic ingredients of functional
programming and explain why embracing them makes JavaScript easier to work
with. It will be aimed at JavaScript developers of all experience levels
and backgrounds.

*Writing a tile-matching game in Clojure (first steps)*
Ever wondered how to write a tile-matching game (like Candy Crush and the
earlier Bejeweled)? And how do you even write a game (with graphics, and
state, and user interaction!) functionally? Regular speaker and
co-organizer Hakim is just starting to explore this process, and will
present some of the basics of modelling the game grid, and playing a basic
event loop, introducing some important concepts in functional programming.

All the best,
Hakim