[Number-phone] Number::Phone 3.7003 released

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Jun 2 22:56:52 GMT 2021

Number::Phone version 3.7003 is on its way to the CPAN. Changes from the
previous version are:

* the usual data updates
* 32 bit perls are now deprecated and will no longer be supported from
   June 2023 onwards.

That second one requires a bit of explanation.

Since forever, if you are on a 64 bit OS, perl has built with support
for 64 bit integers. And also since forever, perl can *optionally* be
built with support for 64 bit integers even on 32 bit OSes by using the
-Duse64bitint flag at Configure time. This has been available since at
least perl 5.6, which will be 20 years old in 2023. If you are using a
perl that only supports 32 bit ints you are living in the stone age!

I want 64-bit support because that means I can stop using DBM::Deep for
some of Number::Phone's internal databases. I intend to switch to using
Data::CompactReadonly, which requires 64 bit integers. That produces
smaller databases (hence saving space and money in Docker images and the
like), which can also be read faster.

You will get run-time warnings in the rather unlikely event that you are
using a 32 bit perl.

There will be no further notifications of this deprecation.

--
David Cantrell