[OSUNIX-dev] OSUNIX as ILLUMOS replacement?

Tony Cook tonycook1972 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:45:34 GMT 2011

2011/4/19 Stamos Tolias <stamtolias at gmail.com>:
> 2011/4/15 Damian Wojsław <damian at wojslaw.pl>:
>> Quoting Stamos Tolias <stamtolias at gmail.com>:

[cut]

> We are now also considering if we should ask Illumos to join.

What are you trying to archive with that? Both AMD and Nvidia were
adamant not having Garrett/NEXENTA in the project. There won't be any
firmware or microcode updates for Illumos, and if we cooperate with
Illumos we only risk their wrath, too. It doesn't matter if
Illumos/NEXENTA are cutoff from two of the major X86 CPU and GPU
vendors but it will matter to us and those who pay the bills.

I also don't think Garrett is interested. He said on IRC that he is
not interested what is happening here. I am happy with that. Garrett
might be a good engineer but he is failing as community lead, not
willing to give others enough freedom and instead suffocate innovation
with his conservative modus operandi instead of widening his gaze to
new ideas. His Illumos advocates are from the same breed of mind, too.
IMO Garrett has no place in the world of innovators, and we need
innovations to be competitive.

Tony Cook