[Perl5-syntax] signature syntax for method return values

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Feb 25 21:59:35 GMT 2009

Florian Ragwitz wrote:
> I wanted to add return value type constraints to
> MooseX::Method::Signatures for a while now, but I have no idea what the
> signature syntax for that should look like.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I was thinking something like
>
>   method foo (Str $a, Int $b $some_seperator HashRef) { ... }
>
> or
>
>   method foo (Str $a, Int $b) $some_seperator HashRef { ... }
>
> where $some_seperator might be something like '-->', '->', '→' or
> 'Returns'.

My strongest feeling is that the return value should *not* be inside the
argument parens.  They should be clearly separated.  So the latter.

I also like "returns", no need to capitalize it, rather than Yet Another
Mysterious Operator.  It's dead obvious what it's going to do.

--
7. Not allowed to add "In accordance with the prophesy" to the end of
   answers I give to a question an officer asks me.