[Perl5-syntax] Method::Signatures, now with types

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 00:48:14 GMT 2011

On 2011.3.22 11:31 AM, Buddy Burden wrote:
>> Placeholders and labels have not been discussed.
>
> I definitely plan to add where constraints.

Excellent.

> Labels and placeholders I
> hadn't considered, because I don't use them personally, but I could
> take those on.  Labels seems easy.  Placeholders perhaps a _bit_
> trickier, but doable.  Unless you think they shouldn't be added, of
> course.

I haven't seen a compelling need for them, they all seem to solve really
trivial edge cases, and I'd rather not add syntax that we don't need but will
be stuck with.  Also I don't know if they're forward compatible with Perl 6.
I think labels are, but I don't know about placeholders.

And I don't know how much they're really used.

If that's your itch, ok, but there's more pressing things to do.

>> MS also does a few things which are incompatible with MXMS, such as loading
>> methods at compile time.  This may interfere with MXD.  We're planning an
>> option to turn that off.
>> https://github.com/schwern/method-signatures/issues#issue/8
>
> Can you think of a specific incompatibility that might cause, or were
> you just thinking that could cause a problem at some point?  Doing it
> at compile-time seems like a clear win to me, but perhaps I'm not
> thinking it through completely.

I don't know of a specific incompatibility.  I just know it's different and
some folks reeeeeeeally want methods to be declared at runtime.  It's trivial
to give them that option in MS.

>> Finally, MS and MXMS don't seem to play well together in the same file.
>
> Yeah, I definitely think it should be either-or.  Trying to mix them
> would engender similar problems to trying to mix Mouse and Moose,
> IMHO.

This turned out to be a Devel::BeginLift bug.

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you
with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here.
        -- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"