[Xml-compile] new tool xmlwrite (?)

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Sat Jul 12 11:50:56 BST 2008

Hi,

I am using XML::Compile to process satellite image meta-data, and got such
an ugly formatted schema file that I decided to see whether XML::Compile
could be used as message cleanup.  Usually, reformatting is dangerous,
because some data elements (like mixed) shall not change.  Well... if
you have the schema, you know what is permitted.

Allong this simple path:  (with a lot of smart options and hooks)
  $writer->($doc, $reader->($xmlin))->toString(1);

I am not sure how the script will be called (it can also be used as module),
but the some features:
  - beautify layout
  - rename name-space prefixes
  - remove superfluous name-space declarations
  - remove comments (actually, it is difficult to keep them in)
  - strip certain (optional) elements, like annotation in schemas
  - extract elements
  - rewrite schemas, to decompose huge types defined by some
    applications

xmlbeautify and xmlclean are heavily overloaded names, so probably I
will call it xmlrewrite.

Any ideas?

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net