[Xml-compile] XML::Compile::Schema validation on xs:ID has problem

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri May 16 07:50:47 BST 2008

* MENG Xin (zinces at gmail.com) [080516 02:37]:
>    It sounds you have accepted my "feature request", aha?

No, although a feature request is always accepted (preferrably
via rt.cpan.org)  I need input from more people.

To quote myself:

>      http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xml-2e-20000814
>      Validity constraint: ID
>         Values of type ID must match the Name production. A name must not
>         appear more than once in an XML document as a value of this type;
>         i.e., ID values must uniquely identify the elements which bear them.
>
>      The RFC definition of "must" is less strong than "shall".  The former
>      means: "should be, but not deadly", where the latter means: error.
>      I do not known how to interpret the XML use of the word "must".
>
>      Anyone else: what is correct behavior?  An error or warning on double
>      IDs, of simply ignore it?

So, I try to express here: I do not know how to interpret this.

If I cannot decide based on a good argument, for instance because there
are some formal decissions by the XML design board about it, then I will
not implement it (even when it is easy to do)

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net