[Xml-compile] XML::Compile fails with "operation direction `notification-operation' not supported"

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri Dec 10 15:12:07 GMT 2010

* Tapio.Niva at tieto.com (Tapio.Niva at tieto.com) [101209 07:47]:
> I tried to test WS-Eventing with XML::Compile, but it failed with
> "operation direction `notification-operation' not supported".

The error has nothing to do with WS-Eventing.

The complaint is about this:

  <wsdl:operation name="IncidentNotification">
    <wsdl:output message="tns:IncidentNotificationMsg" />
  </wsdl:operation>

which means the server (input/output is with respect to the server)
can sent notifications which the client needs to handle. Client-side,
you can only handle these notifications if you have an event-driven
implementation.  The XML::Compile implementation is not event-driven,
so cannot handle these.

However, on the other hand, the server may never send these notifications
even though the WSDL tells you it may. Should we change the error into
a warning?

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net