[Xml-compile] XML::Compile::WSDL1, timeout and userAgent options

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Tue Oct 26 18:35:19 GMT 2010

* Bernd Web (bernd.web at gmail.com) [101026 18:12]:
> I am using XML::Compile::WSDL11 version 2.17.
> The client is working, but I'd like to change the default timeout of
> 180 seconds in the client. I noticed
> http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/xml-compile/2010-February/000335.html
> partly about this

I was under the impression that things had changed a little, since
then.  Can't you simply pass the 'timeout' parameter to compileClient
on the moment?

> my $soapSrv = XML::Compile::WSDL11->new($wsdlXml);
> foreach my $soapOp ($soapSrv->operations)  {
>         $soapOps{ $soapOp->name } = $soapSrv->compileClient($soapOp->name,
>                         transport => $trans
>              );
>  }
>
> The transport was changed:
> my $trans = XML::Compile::Transport::SOAPHTTP->new(
> 	timeout => 500,
> 	address => 'http://soap_server_address'
> );

The basic problem is that we have to combine various independent
packages which need to be configured. I could have forced everyone
to always instantiate the transporter, but that looks like work.
The default usually works ok.

It is a little simpler when you use XML::Compile::Cache features
on which ::WSDL11 is based.

  my $trans = XML::Compile::Transport::SOAPHTTP->new(
    timeout => 500,
    address => 'http://soap_server_address'
  );
  my $soapSrv = XML::Compile::WSDL11->new($wsdlXml,
    opts_rw => [transport => $trans]
  );

  my $call = $soapSrv->compileClient(...)

When I see your code, I think the module needs to cache the calls
for you, just like reader() and writer() do... Should I name it call()?

> Is there either a nice way to get this address from the XML::Compile
> interfaces and / or another way to set timeouts (and possibly other
> userAgent options).

The problem is that there are too many options to expand it to every
corner of the library. Let's pick sane defaults to DWIM a little,
but not try to avoid all pain in all situations.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net