[Xml-compile] explain(): required and optional params

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Tue Aug 14 07:06:29 GMT 2012

* Joshua Keroes (joshua at keroes.com) [120814 01:32]:
> Instead of giving the user the WSDL action's parameters which aren't
> relevant any more, I'd like two structures: the WSDL's required params
> and the optional params.

"required" is a very difficult concept in XML schema's.  Optional can be
specified in various ways, like: element minOccurs=0, block minOccurs=0,
default=true,  etc  One level up in the specification, it is already
hard to understand (in the generic sense) whether the sub-structure
is optional or not.

> Short of evaluating the explain() output and parsing the comments, I'd
> love a recommendation on a less fragile way to get at those
> parameters.

The logic is in XML::Compile::SOAP11::Operation.  It does not provide
access to the operation administration (on purpose: it might change
with new releases of XML::Compile)  On the other hand, parsing the
text explain() produced is certainly more unstable.

I could provide method access to the internal $op->{input_def}, output_def,
and fault_def structures which are used to produce the text. Would that
help?

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net