[Xml-compile] Automatic (unobtrusive) handling of Base64

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Tue Jan 24 19:07:20 GMT 2012

* Michael Ludwig (m.ludwig at epages.com) [120124 17:57]:
> I just discovered the Base64 data type, when specified in
> a schema, is handled by the library automatically.
>
> This comes in handy when you know about it.
> It is when you don't know about it that it can cause grief.

When you put 3.6 on an integer field, you get 4.  With various kinds
of string types, you get tricks with blanks. Digits formatting in
floats. Into utf8 encoding of text, etc... All auto-formatting of the
data to suit the type. The base64Binary type is a binary which gets
represented in base64, just as hexBinary will represent the binary in
hex.

The concept is that "transport" formatting into XML is performed
automatically.  It would be inconsequent not to base64 automagically.

The currect text with XML::Compile::Schema::BuiltInTypes::base64Binary()
is

    In the hash, it will be kept as binary data.  In XML, it will be
    base64 encoded.

How can I make this clearer?

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net