[Xml-compile] Resilience to random WSDL changes

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Thu Mar 1 19:12:43 GMT 2012

* Michael Ludwig (m.ludwig at epages.com) [120301 16:35]:
> The provider of the service I'm interfacing with sometimes makes
> random changes to the published WSDL and the implementation behind.

You can find my rants about the practices in SOAP land on various
places. Come to my talk at the German Perl Workshop this Wednesday
and I will present a long list of schema and soap horrors.

When someone develops the idea that applications should dynamically load
the WSDL from endpoint?WSDL at start-up, then you must be extremely
unexperienced with maintenance.  But disappointingly, many developers
follow this dark route.

> error: decode error: data for element or block starting with `Age'
> missing at {http://superlister.aucland.com/QxlRicardoServices/}CheckAccountResponse/CheckAccountResult

Be glad you get an error, so you can repair your application.

> Is there a way to instruct XML::Compile::SOAP to carry on and try
> to abide in spite of the changes in the data?

I have been thinking of an option interpret_required_as_optional.
However, there are so many places where this will break the inter-
pretation or more complex structures.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net