[Xml-compile] Re: Log::Report modes

Karen Etheridge perl at froods.org
Wed Oct 17 21:15:11 GMT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:08:35PM +0200, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> * Karen Etheridge (karen at etheridge.ca) [121017 21:03]:
> > > Log::Report function try() will catch it.
> >
> > I'm already using TryCatch's try() - is there another way of suppressing
> > Log::Report warnings?
>
> try() is just an eval "".  With the 'reasons' parameter, you can select
> what you want to see in $@, just like the other dispatchers.

Not really - try() should be much more than just a bare eval. e.g. see all
the caveats listed at https://metacpan.org/module/Try::Tiny#BACKGROUND -
good exception handling is actually quite difficult to do.

> I would not mind a rare additional error message every once in a while
> (syslog is patient).

I mind :) - it means I have to set up a separate error channel to handle
these situations.  I'd rather just turn it off, as I'm going to see what
the eventual result of the request was, when I examine $answer and $trace.