[Xml-compile] "inheriting" toXML ?

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Tue Oct 23 19:22:12 GMT 2012

* E R (pc88mxer at gmail.com) [121023 18:30]:
> It seems that typemaps are used for both the Writing (hash -> xml)
> phase and the Reading phase (xml -> hash).
>
> Is there a way to modify the translation in just one of the phases?
> error: class mydate does not implement toXML(), required for typemap dateTime
>
> I'd like to have toXML() just be the 'identity' function or do
> whatever translation would be performed if the addTypemap() call was
> never made.

Hm.  I can imagin the need.  On the other hand, I think the error
message is very helpfull, detecting problems at compile-time.

I could add an option to disable the error on demand.  Disable all
checking or disable fromXML() and disable toXML() checking.  Something
like:
     typemap_check =>   NONE   fromXML  toXML  ALL (default)

Or, you could base all your types of some base-class (very common to
have such in OO structures) which implements the identity toXML().

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net