[Xml-compile] Unexpected return type extension ?

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Mon Nov 18 11:21:37 GMT 2013

* DEIGNAN Ciaran (C.DEIGNAN at rsd.com) [131118 11:10]:
> Unfortunately the service definition doesn't give any hint that
> the response will be extended, so that's probably a defect in the
> application...

Xsi:type cannot be found in the schema, but is in the messages.
Probably your application is not broken.

In some hidden one-liner in the XML-Schema spec is written that *any*
element in the XML data can have an xsi:type attribute with a type which
extent the type which the schema specifies to be there.

For instance, when the schema says:
   <element name="abc" type="Integer">

then the message may contain
   <abc xsi:type="xsd:byte">12</abc>
because "byte" extends "Integer".  This also works for complexType's

Of course, this is much too flexible for a compiler (actually, I think
too flexible for any kind of interface specification)... so when you
expect these horrors, you have to tell X::C explicitly where to check
for xsi:type attributes and then what you can expect there.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net