[Catalyst-dev] Re: fixes to Advent calendar RSS and 3.pod

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Dec 8 18:06:04 GMT 2006

A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> [2006-12-03 12:40]:
>> first revision converts RSS2 -> Atom,
>
> Uhm, why are you generating the long-deprecated Atom 0.3 format?

Because XML::Feed only lets you specify "Atom" or "RSS".  In the latest
svn version of the calendar, I switched to XML::Atom::SimpleFeed like I
should have done originally :)  One irritation, though, is that you
can't set the feed updated time after new().  Unfortunately, I don't
know what time to use for updated until I iterate over the items and add
them to the feed.  (So for now, updated is set to the default.)

A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> Further critique:
>
> * Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> [2006-12-03 12:40]:
>> the revision after that changes fulltext to just the first
>> paragraph (as requested)
>
> right now, what I see is a completely useless title (“Calendar
> entry for day $d.”) with the article title being sent as the
> entry’s full content. What’s in atom:content *isn’t* the entry
> content. It should be in atom:summary at minimum. In fact, it
> should be in the title.

Fixed.  The title is the first paragraph, and the content is the full
XHTML body of the POD.  Also, the first author's name is extracted from
an AUTHOR section.  (I could parse out more metadata [e-mail and other
authors], but I'm lazy so I didn't.  Patches welcome.)

> Who requested not to send fulltext and why? (If it’s bandwidth:
> you can easily avoid 95% of the traffic if you add support for
> conditional GET.

Dunno, but I like fulltext and nobody on IRC objected this time.  The
svn version does fulltext; hopefully someone will push that to the site
Real Soon Now.

> Right now, the feed is pretty useless to me.

Agreed, so now it's fixed :)

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,