[Catalyst-dev] Opinionation

Kiki kiki at bsdro.org
Thu Jul 6 16:09:00 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> People have for quite a while suggested that we should be more opinionated,
> that we should guide people down a "One True Way". and lots of other people
> have said "no, that's a bad idea" for all the obvious reasons.
>
> And they're all Catalyst users and they're all presumably enjoying using it.
> So why do we have this big dividing line that we've argued back and forth over
> on the list almost as many times as config file formats.
>
> I think I might have finally figured out the answer:
>
> Catalyst has a One True Way.
>
> "Do whatever makes most sense within the design of *your* application"
>
> Am I on crack? If so, is it good crack? ;)

Wholeheartedly agree. It's one of the stronger selling points of
Catalyst for me.

However, I'd also like to be able to have Catalyst with flavor on top..
boilerplate stuff, templates
for common task controllers like sessions, authentication or CRUD and
perhaps even with a config that says:
I like my apps with dbic orm and tt views.

These flavors would be great for showcasing and quick-starting /
scaffolding your apps. Of course, they'd be completely optional.

(Idea and terms stolen from
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Start/lib/Module/Start.pm)

In other words, don't "guide" people down a "One True Way", but let them
define their own ways easier.

My 0.02 EUR,
Kiki