[Catalyst-dev] Docs for you to do (yes, YOU)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Mon May 29 06:58:32 CEST 2006

My grand plan to get a lot of docs work done this weekend
has been hampered by the fact that my daughter just broke
her wrist :-(

So I'll use this as an excuse to compel you[1] to do some work
on docs. Here are a half-dozen things that Need To Be Done
now, for 5.70. I'll rewrite anything if necessary, let's just
get some stuff done. This should be worked on in the
Catalyst-docs branch, specifically (probably)
Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-docs/lib/Catalyst/Manual/ .

* Cookbook. There's lots of outdated stuff here. Update it or
pull it out. Put in examples from the Advent Calendar, and
the wiki.

* Cookbook--we should have an example of paged output here.
Include basic code for DBIC, TT, and Catalyst Controller to
show this.

* Installation. There's now a skeleton of a
Catalyst::Manual::Installation.  If you're responsible for one
of the install methods, please write more about it here. If
you've ever installed Catalyst, consider adding issues that
you solved along the way.

* Models. Someone please write a section for Intro.pod about
the use of models, including typical model setup, how you call
your model class, why you need a Cat-based model (instead of
just saying 'use My::Other::Model;'), how to (or why not to)
use $c from within a model, etc.

* Catalyst::Manual::Internals. Hi mst, andyg, nothingmuch,
marcus!

* Helper scripts. Please write a short section for Intro.pod
on how the helper scripts work, how you typically call them,
what you can expect to happen, why bother using them, etc.

Thank you for your help!

Jesse "jester" Sheidlower

[1] Yes, you. If you're reading catalyst-dev, then that
means you're willing to work on Catalyst development, right?
I thought so.