[Catalyst-dev] Docs for you to do (yes, YOU)

Gavin Henry ghenry at perl.me.uk
Tue May 30 14:07:52 CEST 2006

<quote who="Jesse Sheidlower">

> My grand plan to get a lot of docs work done this weekend
> has been hampered by the fact that my daughter just broke
> her wrist :-(

How is she doing now?

> So I'll use this as an excuse to compel you[1] to do some work
> on docs. Here are a half-dozen things that Need To Be Done
> now, for 5.70. I'll rewrite anything if necessary, let's just
> get some stuff done. This should be worked on in the
> Catalyst-docs branch, specifically (probably)
> Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-docs/lib/Catalyst/Manual/ .

Agreed. Would someone be so kind as to check my SVN Access? I had trouble
before trying to commit some fixes last month.

> * Cookbook. There's lots of outdated stuff here. Update it or
> pull it out. Put in examples from the Advent Calendar, and
> the wiki.

I should be able to tackle some of this.

> * Cookbook--we should have an example of paged output here.
> Include basic code for DBIC, TT, and Catalyst Controller to
> show this.

I have seen some code in ServerDB for this, but never done it myself. I
would love to see this in the Cookbook though, as I need to do the same
for server log parsing and LDAP Entries.

> * Installation. There's now a skeleton of a
> Catalyst::Manual::Installation.  If you're responsible for one
> of the install methods, please write more about it here. If
> you've ever installed Catalyst, consider adding issues that
> you solved along the way.

Will have a read of this, but might just recommend installing most of the
CPAN ;-)

> * Models. Someone please write a section for Intro.pod about
> the use of models, including typical model setup, how you call
> your model class, why you need a Cat-based model (instead of
> just saying 'use My::Other::Model;'), how to (or why not to)
> use $c from within a model, etc.

This one's not for me :-(