[Catalyst-dev] It's getting on for Xmas time and Xmas means Advent calendars

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:39:16 GMT 2006

On 11/22/06, Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>

> Just by way of pre-preparation I'd like to kick-start the process of getting
> this years advent calendar up and running.  This means 24 recipes about
> useful techniques and interesting things you can do with Catalyst.  It would
> be nice to keep several days ahead with this so that we get enough material
> to make it right the way through December.
>
> The categories I have  listed for advent calendar entries are as follows:
>
> Basics
> Controllers
> Models
> Testing
>  Deployment
>
> Here's the contributions I have thought of so far:
>
> 1.  "Static deployment" - basically wget -r -k http://localhost:3000 - why
> and how. (kd)
> 2.  Testing with an external server - I can write up what I've done so far
> with Catalyst::Helper::FastCGI (kd)
> 3.  Streaming - basically update the streaming server in svn trunk/examples
> and wrap some words around it (?)
> 4.  A simple example applicaition demonstrating the use of Chained (phaylon
> - code, kd words)
> 5.  Setting up a daemon to handle long running jobs which originate from a
> catalyst application (?)
> 6.  How to set up a start-stop daemon for a fcgi handler (silly I know, but
> I don't know how that's done, and I guess there are others too).
> 7.  Messing around with the content type headers, file name etc, i.e.
> $c->res->header('Content-disposition', 'attachment;
> filename='.$filename);
>
> Right, that's 25% of it.  Can I have some volunteers and/or ideas for more
> please?  We're not looking for huge amounts here - 2-400 words is fine, in
> pod format I guess.
>

> Some other stuff that might be useful is clever things to do with sessions
> and session data,  catalyst::plugin::formbuilder, maybe some "clever usage"
> of tt for particular use cases
>
> Anyway, any suggestions, volunteers etc?

I'll be doing two Catalyst apps, along with screencasts:
"CatTube" - Integrating with YouTube, providing search results.  I'm
still tweaking the app to make it easy.  It uses Prototype to be more
analogous to a Ruby on Rails screencast.

"Catalicious" - Integrating with Del.icio.us via webservice.  Again,
very basic but it shows how to construct a few different Catalyst
applications.

Then, for Reaction I am working on an Address Book (with help from
Penguin and mst) -- really hoping I can get this done by the due date
:)  It is pretty big, so may be better to break into multiple days.  I
see it like:
 Day 1: Bootstrapping a Reaction App
 Day 2: Moosifying your schema classes
 Day 3: Reflectors and Reaction