[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Marketing Plan Draft

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:27:10 CEST 2006

On 10/19/06, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I concur the idea of improving TTSite instead of concentrating on some
> specific Catalyst second level frameworks.   This way we could have
> some standard HTML templates that could be used by many second level
> frameworks.  And while we can count on programming frameworks to
> happen naturally here - for nice HTML templates we cannot so we need
> to  support them somehow centrally.

Templates do not have to be an either-or between TTSite and other widget
systems. The great thing about CSS is if the X/HTML is generated in a
standard format with consistent CSS/DOM classes and ids, it will be trivial
to use the templates for multiple purposes. I would propose that a standard
CSS/DOM lexicon be created for headers, footers, body and body parts (e.g.
articles, sidebars, pagination, etc. and have multiple solutions target
that. A standard set of JavaScript can be created as well. This approach is
framework and even language independent. Using a full CSS system makes it
trivial to port templates from one system to another.

One of the best ways to generate templates is to have a theme contest for a
blog engine. The Typo theme contest generated over 100 new themes, all done
with CSS and thus easily ported to other applications, such as Perl-based
blog engines. Once the lexicon is created, it would be ideal to use it in a
generalized blog engine and run a promotion around that. The great thing
about this approach is you can typically get donations for prizes and you
only need to give prizes to say the top 10 while you get 100+ full,
multi-page themes.

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/