[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Marketing Plan Draft

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:30:46 CEST 2006

On 10/19/06, John Wang <johncwang at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/06, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I concur the idea of improving TTSite instead of concentrating on some
> > specific Catalyst second level frameworks.   This way we could have
> > some standard HTML templates that could be used by many second level
> > frameworks.  And while we can count on programming frameworks to
> > happen naturally here - for nice HTML templates we cannot so we need
> > to  support them somehow centrally.
>

> Templates do not have to be an either-or between TTSite and other widget
> systems. The great thing about CSS is if the X/HTML is generated in a
> standard format with consistent CSS/DOM classes and ids, it will be trivial
> to use the templates for multiple purposes. I would propose that a standard
> CSS/DOM lexicon be created for headers, footers, body and body parts ( e.g.
> articles, sidebars, pagination, etc. and have multiple solutions target
> that. A standard set of JavaScript can be created as well. This approach is
> framework and even language independent. Using a full CSS system makes it
> trivial to port templates from one system to another.
>
> One of the best ways to generate templates is to have a theme contest for
> a blog engine. The Typo theme contest generated over 100 new themes, all
> done with CSS and thus easily ported to other applications, such as
> Perl-based blog engines. Once the lexicon is created, it would be ideal to
> use it in a generalized blog engine and run a promotion around that. The
> great thing about this approach is you can typically get donations for
> prizes and you only need to give prizes to say the top 10 while you get 100+
> full, multi-page themes.

In addition to running a theme contest, with a standardized CSS lexicon, we
can begin porting many existing CSS templates and each template only needs
to be ported once to be used across a wide range of Perl apps and solutions.
We can even work with Plagger on a unified CSS lexicon.

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/