[Catalyst-dev] PPM Catalyst/Manual.html clash.

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Jul 14 14:25:29 GMT 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 02:09:50PM +0200, Emanuele Zeppieri wrote:
> There is an odd file clash with PPM (the ActivePerl module installer).
>
> The fact: Catalyst::Runtime provides the file Catalyst/Manual.pod and
> Catalyst::Manual provides the file Catalyst/Manual.pm, each of which
> causes PPM to create a Catalyst/Manual.html file under the html docs
> tree it generates.
>
> This may seem a trivial problem, but it unfortunately causes PPM to
> fail miserably when installing Task::Catalyst (or Catalyst::Runtime and
> Catalyst::Manual anyway).

Don't install the manual dist then, you can read it online via search.cpan
anyway.

> Could you please remove (or rename) Manual.pod from Catalyst::Runtime or
> adopt any other solution you see fit?

Before we start implementing workarounds for PPM brokenness, could you
file a bug against PPM and see if active state will resolve it?

I'm more and more seeing windows perl users using Vanilla Perl due to just
this sort of silly problem that's ActiveState-specific; I'd rather not
modify our distros just to support one vendor-controlled perl distro with
a stupid packaging system if we can possibly avoid it.