[Catalyst-dev] PPM Catalyst/Manual.html clash.

Emanuele Zeppieri ema_zep at libero.it
Sat Jul 14 15:24:45 GMT 2007

Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 02:09:50PM +0200, Emanuele Zeppieri wrote:
>> There is an odd file clash with PPM (the ActivePerl module installer).
>>
>> The fact: Catalyst::Runtime provides the file Catalyst/Manual.pod and
>> Catalyst::Manual provides the file Catalyst/Manual.pm, each of which
>> causes PPM to create a Catalyst/Manual.html file under the html docs
>> tree it generates.
>>
>> This may seem a trivial problem, but it unfortunately causes PPM to
>> fail miserably when installing Task::Catalyst (or Catalyst::Runtime and
>> Catalyst::Manual anyway).
>
> Don't install the manual dist then, you can read it online via search.cpan
> anyway.

In PPM, Catalyst::Manual is installed by Catalyst::Devel which in turn
is installed by Task::Catalyst.

I was not asking for a workaround anyway, I was just pointing out that
installing Catalyst under Windows could be a smooth and effortless
operation for everyone, even the most naive user, if we only didn't have
this (useless) file (quasi-)duplication.

>> Could you please remove (or rename) Manual.pod from Catalyst::Runtime or
>> adopt any other solution you see fit?
>
> Before we start implementing workarounds for PPM brokenness, could you
> file a bug against PPM and see if active state will resolve it?

I don't think PPM is to blame here (though it could signal the file
conflict and go on, rather than aborting the installation).

You should consider my suggestion also because, aside from PPM, there is
not much sense in having Catalyst/Manual.pm and then also
Catalyst/Manual.pod from another dist (Catalyst::Runtime) which
shouldn't provide any /manual/.

Just drop Manual.pod from Catalyst::Runtime, because Catalyst will be
cleaner ;-)

> I'm more and more seeing windows perl users using Vanilla Perl due to just
> this sort of silly problem that's ActiveState-specific; I'd rather not
> modify our distros just to support one vendor-controlled perl distro with
> a stupid packaging system if we can possibly avoid it.

Though I could agree in general, this is not the case.

Cheers,
Emanuele.