[Catalyst-dev] Re: PATCH - Multiple ActionClass attributes [OT]

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Mon May 14 15:22:59 GMT 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 1:45 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:25:35PM -0400, Jason Kohles wrote:
>> Is there seriously effort being put into converting Catalyst to
>> Moose?  Is there a list of people who are interested in forking
>> rather than going that route?  Moose is the main reason I gave up on
>> trying to do anything with Reaction.
>
> Seriously. Please can you explain why you'd feel so strongly about
> Catalyst converting to Moose that you'd want to fork the project?
>
> Making an assertion like that and then not explaining why  -
> especially
> when we've got a substantial number of users who've come out in
> favour of
> Moose - seems to me to be a little unfair.

Sorry, I didn't mean to troll and run, I have been working on writing
up some of my
thoughts on this subject, but my wife ended up in the emergency room
on Thursday
and needed surgery on Friday, so I've been a little tied up...

In fairness though, I may be having a change of heart.  When I went
back and started
organizing my thoughts on the subject in preparation for sharing them
I found that the
list of things that I considered to be Moose related issues wasn't as
large as I thought
it was, and the list of things that could simply be attributed to the
early-development
nature of Reaction was larger than I thought it was, so I probably
just got off on the
wrong foot by tackling Reaction and Moose together...  I've been re-
reviewing the
Moose documentation and I can definitely see potential for some very
useful features
that it could bring to Catalyst (and to DBIx::Class, which I've seen
is also slated for
Moosification at some point).  In particular, the Cat app I'm working
on right now has
acquired a hodge-podge of controller base classes to add various
features to my
controller classes in various combinations and the Moose role support
could make
that whole process a whole lot smoother.

I am still planning to finish the writeup I started though, some of
the things that
bothered me initially about Moose may just be my lack of
understanding, and some
may be things that actually need some careful thought, but my comment
about
forking was probably overly dramatic.

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com
http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire