[Catalyst-dev] porting from another MVC framework

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 22:47:48 GMT 2007

On 29 Nov 2007, at 09:24, Emily Heureux wrote:

> Hi, we are trying to port from a homemade MVC framework to
> Catalyst, but we
> are new to Catalyst.  The old setup had logic written in Model and
> View, and
> very little in the Controller.  I do not understand how Catalyst is
> set up
> by default.  I cannot seem to have several perl modules within
> View, but I
> can put all the logic and perl modules I want into Controller.  My
> understanding is that you don't want to put a bunch of logic in
> Controller,
> but instead in Model and View.  Is that not a typical way of going
> about
> designing in Catalyst?

Yes that is correct.

I think it will be tricky for us to help you without more details.
Can I suggest that you pop onto #catalyst at irc.perl.org and have a
chat with people there.  How easy it is to move your old stuff over
to catalyst depends on how clean the design of your existing code is,
e.g. can you run your existing code without a web server, how does
the url/action dispatch work, how are sessions/other state dealt with
and so on.

Also Matt Trout did some work on getting existing CGI scripts working
under catalyst (Catalyst::Controller::WrapCGI - in catalyst svn - not
on cpan yet due to lack of documentation) in order to get legacy
maypole applications working under catalyst.  This might be of some
help to you, but without more details it's difficult to say.

By the way, if you do end up on irc, note that it can be a slightly
unforgiving environment, but bear with us, listen to advice, and you
should get some good quality help.