[Catalyst-dev] Moose port progress report

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Apr 6 20:49:30 BST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 05:39:56PM +0100, Mike Whitaker wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2008, at 15:39, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, John Napiorkowski wrote:
> >
> >>This would make a plugin I'm working on for monitoring/restarting
> >>the application a lot easier. I've had to do a lot of hacking just
> >>to simulate role stuff, so I am in favor of it.  However I think
> >>people who have a lot of existing plugins might feel nervious :)
> >
> >Personally, I'd like to see this work get be aggressive in its
> >breakage of old idioms, but have it released under a new namespace,
> >like Catalyst6.
> >
> >There's a lot of cruft in Catalyst worth excising, but at the same
> >time, I don't want a simple "cpan install Catalyst" to break my
> >apps horribly ;)
>
> Could we perhaps have a combination of a) a deprecation cycle and b)
> an 'if your app breaks, set <this> config option'?

That's what we've always done before.

My intent is to get 5.80 shipped as basically fully compatible, and have
the app/ctx switch clean things up, so

use Catalyst; # will do what it always have

but

use Catalyst::AppClass; # will make us isa Catalyst::Application only

I'd also rather get away from the import style entirely, tbh; I'd prefer
a ketword-style approach ala Moose instead.