[Catalyst-dev] Moose port progress report

Marcus Ramberg marcus at nordaaker.com
Sun Apr 6 22:38:05 BST 2008

On 6. april. 2008, at 21.49, Matt S Trout wrote:

>> Could we perhaps have a combination of a) a deprecation cycle and b)
>> an 'if your app breaks, set <this> config option'?
>
> That's what we've always done before.
>
> My intent is to get 5.80 shipped as basically fully compatible, and
> have
> the app/ctx switch clean things up, so
>
> use Catalyst; # will do what it always have
>
> but
>
> use Catalyst::AppClass; # will make us isa Catalyst::Application only
>
> I'd also rather get away from the import style entirely, tbh; I'd
> prefer
> a ketword-style approach ala Moose instead.

I agree with the approach of releasing a fully compat moose 5.8
version. I've just released a new version of Catalyst::Devel, (1.04)
which generates MyApp.pm with "use parent qw/MyApp/" so that
controller doesn't get inserted into MyApp's isa.

changing the load style seems like a good approach for brining in the
new way of using things, while maintainin backwards compat, when we're
beyond 5.8.

I plan to do a 5.7100 release of Catalyst-Runtime this week with some
bug fixes and a few minor new features. What's the current estimated
time for the 5.8 release?

Marcus
Catalyst Release Manager.