[Catalyst-dev] catamoose status

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Dec 16 01:29:52 GMT 2008

On 15 Dec 2008, at 10:59, Enno van Amerongen wrote:
> I'm looking at 5.8, as we're looking into using Moose to help build
> all the needed classes. I'm guessing that Catamoose in combination
> with Moose classes would have a smaller memory footprint and maybe
> have better performance as well.

If anything, 5.80 will have a slightly higher memory footprint, as
you have a meta-instance for every class. That is not, however, a lot
of classes, so it's not particularly significant.

The main performance gain to be had in 5.80 is the use of Class::C3
for redispatch, rather than NEXT, but you can do this already with
the currently released Catalyst.

Also note that Catalyst best practices say you should put _as much_
of your code as possible into the application model (so that
controllers are just shuffling parameters and templates, and
templates are just iterating over data), and that you should build
your model separate to Catalyst (so that you can use it externally),
and there is absolutely nothing stopping you using Moose here..

Hope this helps

Cheers
t0m